Hey there, fellow wanderer! Are you ready to dive into the captivating world of Edinburgh? With its majestic castles, picturesque landscapes, and vibrant culture, this Scottish city has something to offer for everyone.
To ensure you have an unforgettable stay, let's embark on a journey to discover the best Edinburgh city accommodations that will make your visit truly exceptional.
From cosy guest houses to luxurious hotels, we'll explore the unique charm of Edinburgh's neighbourhoods and recommend some fantastic places to stay along the way.
Table of Contents
Location, Location, Location
When it comes to Edinburgh, each neighbourhood has its distinctive personality. Let's take a closer look at a few of them:
- Old Town: Step into history as you wander through the cobblestone streets of the Old Town. From the magnificent Edinburgh Castle to the vibrant Royal Mile, this area is perfect for immersing yourself in the city's rich heritage. For a unique stay, check out The Witchery by the Castle, an enchanting gothic retreat that will transport you to a bygone era.
- New Town: Seeking a blend of elegance and modernity? Look no further than New Town. Stroll along the beautifully designed Georgian streets, explore upscale shops and art galleries, and indulge in delectable dining options. For a luxurious experience, consider The Balmoral Hotel, an iconic landmark that offers stunning views of the city and top-notch amenities.
- Leith: If you're a fan of maritime charm and vibrant waterfront scenes, head to Leith. A diverse array of bars, eateries, and cultural attractions can be found in this vibrant neighbourhood. A must-see is the Royal Yacht Britannia, formerly the British Royal Family's floating abode. To stay in style, try the trendy and award-winning boutique hotel, Malmaison Edinburgh, located in a converted seaman's mission.
Types of Accommodations
Now that we've looked at a few areas let's examine the many kinds of lodging Edinburgh has to offer:
- Hotels: Edinburgh offers a wide range of hotels to suit every taste and budget. If you're looking for a luxurious experience, The Dunstane Houses, located in the charming West End, offers elegant rooms, attentive service, and a whiskey bar to indulge in Scotland's national drink.
- Guesthouses and Bed & Breakfasts: For a more personalised touch, consider staying at a guesthouse or B&B. The 94DR Guesthouse, situated in the stylish New Town, provides contemporary comfort and warm hospitality. Enjoy a delicious homemade breakfast before venturing out to explore the city.
- Apartments and Vacation Rentals: If you prefer a home-away-from-home experience, Edinburgh has plenty of serviced apartments and vacation rentals Edinburgh. The Old Town Chambers offers modern apartments with a historical twist, combining the convenience of self-catering with the luxury of a hotel.
- Hostels: Budget-conscious travellers will find plenty of hostels in Edinburgh. Castle Rock Hostel, just steps away from Edinburgh Castle, offers cosy dormitories and private rooms, along with a lively social atmosphere and regular pub crawls.
a. Luxury Escapes: Want to pamper yourself? The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, located in the heart of New Town, is a magnificent hotel that perfectly blends Georgian grandeur with contemporary comfort. Indulge in its luxurious spa and relish the fine dining experience at BABA, a Mediterranean-inspired restaurant.
b. Hidden Gems: Looking for something unique? Tigerlily, a trendy boutique hotel in the heart of George Street, offers stylish rooms, a vibrant bar, and a lively atmosphere that will make you feel like a true local.
c. Quirky Experiences: For a touch of magic, consider staying at the Witchery Suites, located just steps from the Royal Mile. Each suite is lavishly decorated with Gothic elegance, creating an unforgettable and atmospheric stay.
Considerations for Families and Group Travel:
- Family-Friendly Hotels: Edinburgh has several hotels that cater specifically to families, offering spacious rooms, kid-friendly amenities, and even entertainment options. The Apex Grassmarket Hotel, located near Edinburgh Castle, provides family rooms and a dedicated children's play area.
- Connecting Rooms and Suites: A suite or room with connecting doors can keep everyone together while keeping privacy if you're travelling with a larger group or extended family. The Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian offers luxurious suites and connecting rooms with stunning views of the city.
Unique Accommodation Experiences:
- Castle Stays: For an extraordinary experience, consider staying in a castle near Edinburgh. Dalhousie Castle, situated just outside the city, offers a mediaeval-inspired retreat with luxurious rooms and even a falconry experience.
- Glamping and Eco-Friendly Options: If you're an outdoor enthusiast or eco-conscious traveller, Edinburgh has options for you too. Consider glamping at the award-winning Roulotte Retreat, where you can stay in beautifully designed and eco-friendly caravans surrounded by nature.
Accommodations for Business Travelers:
- Business Hotels: Various hotels in Edinburgh cater to business travellers, including features like meeting rooms, business centres, and easy access to transportation. The Radisson Collection Hotel, located on the Royal Mile, provides well-equipped meeting spaces and a central location for your business needs.
- Extended Stay Apartments: For longer business trips, consider serviced apartments that offer the comforts of home along with the convenience of hotel services. The Staycity Aparthotels West End provides spacious apartments with fully equipped kitchens and on-site laundry facilities.
- Wheelchair-Friendly Options: Edinburgh aims to provide accessibility for all travellers. Look for accommodations that offer wheelchair-friendly rooms, accessible facilities, and convenient access to public transportation. The G&V Royal Mile Hotel, located in the heart of the Old Town, offers accessible rooms and facilities for guests with mobility needs.
- Support for Special Requirements: If you have specific needs, such as hearing impairment or visual impairments, inquire about accommodations Edinburgh that provide appropriate support. The DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh City Centre offers accessible rooms with features like visual alarms and adapted bathrooms.
Curious to see how much you could earn on Airbnb? Schedule a free, no-strings-attached consultation with our Airbnb Management Edinburgh team to uncover your property’s revenue potential.
Congratulations, intrepid traveller! You're now equipped with the knowledge to find the perfect Edinburgh city accommodation. Edinburgh offers a wide range of options to suit your interests, whether you're drawn to the Old Town's historic appeal, the New Town's refinement, or the bustling waterfront ambience of Leith.
There's something for everyone, from luxurious hotels to charming guesthouses and stylish apartments, So go ahead, reserve your ideal lodging, and get ready to savour Edinburgh's enchantment. Bon voyage, and enjoy every moment of your unforgettable stay!