Your Ultimate Guide to First Home Buyers Grant in 2023



The Insider @ Houst
Last updated on
September 13, 2023

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse varius enim in eros elementum tristique. Duis cursus, mi quis viverra ornare, eros dolor interdum nulla, ut commodo diam libero vitae erat. Aenean faucibus nibh et justo cursus id rutrum lorem imperdiet. Nunc ut sem vitae risus tristique posuere.

Your Ultimate Guide to First Home Buyers Grant in 2023

I hope you enjoy reading this blog post.

If you want my team to just manage your Airbnb for you, click here.

Airbnb Management Services by Houst | Short-Term Rental Experts

About Houst

Houst is a leading property management company specialising in short-term and medium-term bookings in eight countries. With over 7 years of experience and managing over 300,000 bookings, we help homeowners make the most of their properties.

Learn More

Guess what? A cool $10,000 First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is waiting for you when you take the exciting step of buying or building your first brand-new home. And by 'new home,' we mean you can pick a house, a cosy townhouse, a modern apartment, or something similar. It still counts, even if it's a home with a major makeover or a fresh start to replace a torn-down place.

Here's the deal: To snag this grant, your home's price tag needs to be $750,000 or less. Whether you're going for an off-the-plan purchase or sealing the deal to construct your dream home, the key is that the contract price should stay within that budget.

Now, what's a 'new home'? It's a place that hasn't been sold as someone's residence or used as a home, even for short stays like Airbnb. So, if it's the first time someone's calling it home – that's when you can grab that FHOG. But if the person who built it lived there, rented it out, or used it for short-term stays, it won't qualify as a 'new home' for the grant.

In this article, we’ll discuss things you need to know in 2023 before applying for a first home buyers grant in Australia. So, let’s get started!

Table of Contents

What You Need to Know First


Usually, the bank or credit union helping you with your financing (check the list of approved agents) will handle your First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) application. You must submit your application through an approved agent if you need the grant for settlement or your initial payment. Before that, move on to step 2 and gather your supporting documents.

Only apply directly with gov. if no approved agent handles your FHOG application. Remember, you can't submit your application to gov. until your eligible transaction is complete. 

Check Your Eligibility

Your First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) eligibility depends on your responses in the FHOG online portal.

You won't qualify for the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner have:

  • Previously received a first home buyers grant anywhere in Australia.
  • Owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either together or separately, before July 1, 2000.
  • Lived in a home you owned or part-owned in Australia for at least six consecutive months, starting from July 1, 2000.

However, there's still hope! You may be eligible if you or your spouse/partner bought a property on or after July 1, 2000, and haven't lived in it as your primary residence.

Also, to qualify for the FHOG, at least one applicant must:

  • Occupy the home as their main place of residence for a minimum of 12 months, starting within 12 months of settlement or construction completion.
  • Be 18 years or older (sometimes exceptions may apply).
  • Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The purchase of a new home generally applies on the date you become entitled to possess the home under the contract, which is usually the settlement date. For comprehensive building contracts, it applies when the building is ready for occupation as a place of residence, typically when construction is completed.

It's important to note that New Zealanders with a special category visa under s32 of the Migration Act 1958 and individuals holding a permanent visa under s30(1) are considered permanent residents for FHOG purposes.

Collecting Your Supporting Documents (Proof of Identity)

When applying through an approved agent, you and your spouse/partner need to supply a copy (not the original) of a primary identity document and proof of citizenship or permanent residency.

However, if you're submitting your application directly to us, here's what you'll need: Each applicant and their spouse/partner should provide a copy (again, not the original) of a current document from each of the three categories (meaning three documents per person). Remembering that a single document can't be used for more than one category is essential. This helps ensure a smooth processing of your application.

Category 1 - Proof of Identity and Citizenship or Permanent Residency

If you're an Australian citizen, you'll need to provide one of the following documents:

  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian passport
  • Australian citizenship certificate

If you are a citizen of another country, you'll need to provide:

  • Your current passport
  • Evidence of permanent residency or a permanent residence visa, along with the date it was granted

For New Zealand citizens, the following documents are required:

  • Your current passport
  • A movement record as evidence of living in Australia upon completion of the eligible transaction. You can obtain this record from the Department of Home Affairs.

Category 2 - Proof of Link Between Identity and Person

To establish the link between your identity and yourself, you'll need to provide one document from the following options:

  • A copy of your current Australian driver's license
  • Passport (if it wasn't used for Category 1)
  • Working with Children Check card
  • Firearms license
  • Proof of Age card issued by Liquor Control Victoria (photo ID card)

Category 3 - Proof of Residency in Australia

To confirm that each applicant and their spouse/partner reside in Australia, you'll need to provide one document from the following options:

  • A copy of your current Medicare card
  • Motor vehicle registration notice
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs card

Additional Supporting Evidence

In some situations, you'll need to provide extra documentation. Here are the requirements for specific circumstances:

  • Married: Include a copy of your marriage certificate.
  • Divorced: Include a copy of your divorce certificate.
  • Widowed: Provide a copy of your spouse/partner's death certificate.
  • Separated: Create a statutory declaration containing the following details:

  1. The name of your former spouse/partner.
  2. Your former spouse/partner's current address (if known).
  3. Your former spouse/partner’s date of birth.
  4. The date you were married or started your domestic relationship.
  5. The date you separated.
  6. A statement confirming that you no longer live together and have no intention of resuming cohabitation.

  • Member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF): A copy of a document issued by the ADF displaying your name and confirming your permanent ADF membership at the eligible transaction's completion date. Documentation verifying your enrollment on the Victorian electoral roll.
  • Name Change: If the name on any document differs from the applicant's name, provide evidence of the name change. This can be a change of name certificate issued by births, deaths, and marriages or a statutory declaration explaining why you don't possess the change of name certificate.

Completing Your Application

If you're applying through an approved agent, be sure to have a discussion with them regarding the application process. They'll guide you through completing the application form and provide valuable assistance.

Am I Eligible for the First Home Buyers Grant?


The eligibility criteria for first time home buyers can vary slightly from one state or territory to another, but here's a general overview:

  • You must be a first-time homebuyer as an individual, not on behalf of a company or trust.
  • At least one applicant must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen.
  • Each applicant must be at least 18 years old.
  • You or your spouse, partner, or co-purchaser must not have previously owned land in Australia with a residence before July 1, 2000.
  • You or your spouse/partner cannot have lived in a residential property you owned since July 1, 2000.
  • You or your spouse, partner, or co-purchaser should not have previously claimed the grant.
  • You must use your first home as your main residence within 12 months of buying or building it, and you should live there continuously for at least 12 months.

Unlock Extra Income with Houst on Airbnb

Thinking about listing your home on Airbnb to boost your income? Why not partner with Houst! Our dedicated team takes on all landlord responsibilities and new Airbnb rules Australia, ensuring your property is rented legally and efficiently. We handle everything, from managing Airbnb bookings to maintaining your property in top-notch condition. Let Houst simplify the entire process and maximise your rental yields. It's your property, and we ensure it works harder for you.

The Insider @ Houst

The Insider @ Houst

The Insider team at Houst is dedicated to providing up-to-date and relevant information on short-term rentals. If you have hosting inquiries, please write to us at For guest inquiries, reach out at We are here to help you navigate the world of short lets and look forward to assisting you with your needs.

The Insider @ Houst

The Insider @ Houst

The Insider team at Houst is dedicated to providing up-to-date and relevant information on short-term rentals. If you have hosting inquiries, please write to us at For guest inquiries, reach out at We are here to help you navigate the world of short lets and look forward to assisting you with your needs.

Pricing From

of your
rental revenue
The commission depends on
the property profile and location
free estimate

Complete property management services

We streamline the process of short-term lets and assist in maximising your rental revenue in London.

Listing Management

  • Multi-platform listings
  • Professional photography
  • Listing creation
  • Price optimisation

Guest Management

  • Guest vetting
  • Guest check-ins
  • Linen and toiletries
  • Guest communications

Property Management

  • Cleaning and housekeeping
  • Property maintenance
  • Property insurance
  • Property management software
I hope you enjoy reading this blog post!
If you want my team to just manage your Airbnb for you, just book a call.
Book a call
Click here to Get More Bookings!
See How Houst Can Elevate Your Airbnb’s Visibility
  • Listing Optimisation – Maximise your listing’s potential. Experience tangible growth.
  • Professional Photography – Captivating visuals that instantly attract guests.
  • Guest Screening – Ensuring only the best and safest guests for your property.

We hope you enjoy our blog!

If you would like to find out more about how our team can help you get the most of your Airbnb, just book a call with us.

Thank you for providing your contact information!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
J’espère que vous apprécierez la lecture de cet article de blog !
Si vous souhaitez que mon équipe gère simplement votre Airbnb pour vous, réservez simplement un appel.
Cliquez ici pour obtenir plus de réservations !
Découvrez comment Houst peut améliorer la visibilité de votre Airbnb
  • Optimisation des annonces – Maximisez le potentiel de votre annonce. Faites l’expérience d’une croissance tangible.
  • Photographie professionnelle – Des visuels captivants qui attirent instantanément les invités.
  • Filtrage des invités – Garantir uniquement les invités les meilleurs et les plus sûrs pour votre propriété.
Looking to scale your serviced accommodation?
Join Houst’s partnership program — book a call for details.
Starting your Airbnb business?
Houst can help you get started in the serviced accommodation sector:
  • Fastracked growth: Quick portfolio expansion and up to 20% booking commission for property managers.
  • Guest Support and Tech: 24/7 support and tech streamlined operations, enhancing occupancy and guest service delivery.
  • Pricing Optimisation: Increased earnings with algorithm-based pricing strategies.